The following tips are straight from my Grandma herself. :-) I love it when she shares her wealth of knowledge with the rest of us. She always has a new tip or trick to share with me. :-)
1. Place a finger sized hold in the middle of your hamburger patties. They will cook better and as the meat cooks the hole will fill back in.
2. Place candles in your drawers and cupboards to give them a fresh scent without having to burn them.
3. Put about 1/2 tsp of baking powder in eggs to make them cook up fluffier.
4. Stick an aluminum foil funnel in the center of pie so it doesn't overflow.
5. Chop onions very finely. Put 1 cup of onions and 1 cup of sugar in a container. Place this mixture in the fridge. All the mixture to turn into a syrup. Give 1 tsp to yourself or kids when they have a cold.
6. If you boil vinegar in a burnt pan then let it set for a while until it cools the burnt food will come off.
7. Weed Killer
1 gallon white vinegar
8 drops dish liquid
Put some in spray bottle, and spray weeds
Will kill any vegetation, so be careful not to spray where you want vegetation to grow.
8. Getting Rid of Skunk Odor
1qt hydrogen peroxide 2%
1/2 C baking soda
2 tsps.dish liquid
wet with solution.
wash with shampoo.
dry. repeat if needed.
And I will leave you with a recipe for
Cocoa Zucchini Cake
Yield 16 Servings
1 1/2 Cups Unbleached Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 Cup Nonfat Buttermilk
2 Cups (packed) Shredded Unpeeled Zucchini
3 Egg Whites
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1/2 C Dark Raisins or Chopped Walnuts
3 Tablespoons Confectioners' Sugar (optional)
1. Combine the flours, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, and stir to mix well. Stir in the buttermilk, zucchini, egg whites, and vanilla extract. Fold in the raisins or walnuts.
2. Coat a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the better evenly in the pan, and bake at 350 degrees F for about 35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake to room temperature.
3. Sift the confectioners' sugar over the cake if desired, cut into squares, and serve.
Yields 16 Servings