My husband was working out in the garage one day about a month ago and I noticed this little chair sitting to the side of the garage when I went to talk to him. It had seen it's better days but I saw a whole lot of potential. I asked Hubby if I could have it and so began this project. I LOVE the before and after picture. Such a drastic difference.
I started by removing the tacks and nails along the edges and ripped the material off the seat.
Then I used a paint remover gel and applied it to the whole chair. I let it set for about 30mins then stripped off the first layer. You can do this until you remove ALL the paint but since I was just repainting I wasn't too concerned with stripping it down completely.
Then I sanded down all the rough edges.
Then I painted the chair this gray color. I decided I didn't like it and switched to a white. I painted the chair two coats of white.
Then I cut out a piece of fabric a little bit larger than the size of the seat on the chair. (I found this fabric on the clearance rack at JoAnn fabrics....it was a remnant piece). These pictures are dark and the flash shadowing is horrible; I know. But it was super hot outside today and I didn't have my big flash nearby....so this is what you get....lol
Then I cut out some batting and layered it up a bit to make it nice and thick.
Then I took the fabric and folded it under until it matched the edges on the sides of the chair and used a staple gun to hold the fabric in place over top of the batting. The nails initially stuck out a bit but I just set them in place by gently hammering them.
If you want to hide the staples completely then you could use a ribbon and run it around the edges with a glue gun. I thought it looked fine without the ribbon. :-)
I love how this turned out!! My older three children all looked at the chair and said it was "Joey's chair" How cute!! :-)
I'm linking up with: